For those of you who know me well, you are familiar with my love of making lists. I like them and I especially like making "to-do" lists because I delight in the satisfaction of getting to cross things off of those lists. I make lists for everything. From planning an event, to items I need for something, to a list of qualities I want in a man, I have a list for everything. The beauty of making lists is that they keep me in line. For example, I previously stated that I have a list of qualities I want in a man. This list is really important for me on several levels. First, I have taken experience from past relationships to make me really think about what is important to me and what I hope to have in a significant other. Second, I will not lie to you, I am a hopeless romantic. This list keeps me in line and reminds me of what is important and not to just fall "for anyone". He has to be pretty darn great for me to consider as a significant other. And for those of you who think I shouldn't leave my feelings to fit into a list, don't worry, I don't. I absolutely ensure that at the end of the day, the man must make my heart happy and give me all those warm and fuzzies.
However, this is not what this post is about. This post is about my list of 32. In case you weren't aware, I went to Virginia Tech. My most dreaded question from any stranger is, "were you there when the shooting happened". Honestly? Hi, I've known you all of 4.2 seconds and this is the first question you ask me? When I provide a curt yes (most people don't get the point is to not ask anymore questions), it is then followed up with a secondary question of, "did you know someone". At this point, I either ignore the question, provide a "look" or answer with "yes and if this is all you want to know, then we can end this conversation now". This isn't reality TV; I don't need to bare all my feelings in some confessional, i.e., the public or you. This is a very personal event and it is one I do not take lightly. It is single-handedly the only event that if I think about it for too long, it will bring me to tears, at any given time. So in order for me to save face and not cry all the time, I try not to answer these types of questions or encourage this type of behavior from people I meet. If I want to share my feelings or thoughts on the event, I will let you know and I will come talk to you.
So with all that being said, I will let you in on the inspiration that day provided me. It's a list for 32. It started circulating on April 15, 2009, via facebook notes. I have read many and taken a few months to think of my own. I like the idea. It's simple, everyone can participate and it embraces my love of list making.
My list for 32 (in no particular order)
1) I will move back overseas
2) I will fall into a true, deep, romantic, soul-shaking love
3) I will put myself out there
4) I will run a half-marathon
5) I will not settle
6) I will never give up on my dreams
7) I will remember to be kind
8) I will try to be patient
9) I will visit all 50 states
10) I will visit all 7 continents
11) I will laugh as often as possible
12) I will have a family
13) I will go to the Olympic Games
14) I will learn to speak Tagalog fluently (to a point where I can school my cousins!) and about my Filipina heritage
15) I will always dedicate some time living up to "Ut Prosim" (that I may serve)
16) I will enjoy life and live it like an adventure
17) I will change someone's life
18) I will do something scary everyday
19) I will learn how to sail a boat or fly a plane, maybe both!
20) I will stay compassionate
21) I will visit as many countries as possible (31 and counting!)
22) I will remember to be humble and try not to judge others because in the end, my opinion means nothing.
23) I will be grateful for all the opportunities and know that I, alone, did not accomplish it
24) I will continue to move forward while always keeping 32 in my heart and on my mind
25) I will not regret things, I will learn to understand that everything is a learning experience
26) I will follow my heart
27) I will like people first
28) I will never stop the learning process
29) I will live in Colorado
30) I will make an effort to go to Virginia Tech at least once a year and go to all of my class reunions
31) I will get a dog
32) I will be happy